Království perníku

Castle Ruins ŘÍČANY [ Hrad nebo zřícenina hradu ]

The construction of Říčany Castle was probably initiated by Ondřej of Všechromy, the founder of the noble family of Říčany. This aristocrat was a devoted adherer to King Přemysl Otakar II. At first he was appointed the King’s personal valet with the function of serving food and from 1260 he acted as the senior valet. Such a political position also needed a corresponding representative seat which initiated the construction work on the castle (1260 - 1270), probably built on foundations of an older wooden fortress. Říčany is first mentioned in written records in 1289. Later a village of the same name was established in the area under the castle.

Říčany Castle belongs to the most significant examples of Czech castle architecture of the last Přemyslovites era. The castle was constructed at the time when half-wooden aristocratic castle settlements were being replaced with more substantially built Gothic style castles and therefore it is an example of the oldest stone castles in our country. The castle, with an approximately oval ground plan, stood on a wide promontory. It was protected by a not to high drop-off, a massive two floors high rampart, and from three sides also by an ingenious system of ponds and, opposite to the town, there was also a deep ditch with a levee. In the centre of the castle two, partly preserved buildings - a ‘donjon’ and a palace, dominated the castle due to their height. Almost the whole of the courtyard front wall has been preserved together with one of the traversal walls of the main palace, in practically their original height. At the beginning of the 15th century Říčany Castle was the seat of the Roman Catholic aristocrat, Diviš of Říčany, who was an active opponent of the Hussites. In November 1420, an army lead by Jan Žižka started to besiege the castle. The Hussites did not destroy the castle but manned it with their own army. The castle then remained in the ownership of the Prague people until 1485. The Říčany family never returned to their castle.

Recently, archaeological research has been performed that sign ficantly assisted in our knowledge of the castle. Apart from this, over 6000 pieces of various objects have been found which will enable reconstruction of period objects used in the medieval castle and will expand our knowledge about the way of life of its inhabitants.


AKTUALIZACE: Václav Pošmurný (TO 03) org. 2, 20.11.2005 v 10:39 hodin

Copyright 1998-23 © infoSystem.cz,
součást prezentačního a rezervačního systému Doménová koule